Your Voice Doula Services
Certified Birth and Postpartum Doula
Letter of Agreement for Doula Labor Support Services, Limits and Fees
- What is my Role as a Doula?
As a labor doula, I will accompany
you during your birth to help ensure as positive birth experience as possible.
I will help provide you and your partner with emotional, physical, and
informational support, help communicate your needs and wants to your birth
attendants and assist in providing you with education to aide you in making
informed decisions about your birth. I can provide massage, relaxation and
visualization techniques, and suggestions for positioning including the birth
ball, hot and cold packs to help with backache and back labor pain, music, and
other client specific needs. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula,
I work for you, not your caregiver or the hospital.
- Meeting Me
We will most likely meet several times before you go into labor. Our first meeting will simply be a time for us to get acquainted and make sure that you and I mesh well with a Doula/Client partnership. This gives us an opportunity to get to know one another. If there are any questions that I can answer to ease any concerns or fears you may have, I would be more than happy to. If we decide that we want to continue, we can move forward by filling out the required agreement, reserving a date on my calendar, and setting up a future meetings.
In our second meeting, we will
clarify your priorities, concerns and any fears you may have for the upcoming
birth. This meeting will help me understand what you desire for your individualized
birth experience, and what (if any) homework I will need to do in order to more
effectively aid you and your partner. At our third meeting we can work on your
birth plan, discuss your feelings about pain and coping strategies, work on
desired labor positions and finalize any questions or concerns you may have
regarding your labor and birth.
- When You Are in Labor
I prefer that you CALL me even if you only think you are going into labor or you simply “feel different.” I can answer questions and make suggestions over the phone. We will have decided whether I will meet with you at your home and drive with you and your partner to the hospital or birth center so that I can accompany you through the triage process. If you would prefer, I can meet you approximately 1 hour after you have arrived to the hospital and have already made it through the triage process.
*Should I be unable to attend your birth due to extraordinary circumstances, I will send a "back up" doula
I encourage you to meet with several of my back up doulas in case a situation arises in which I am unable to attend your birth. I will have two back ups that you are comfortable with in place, just in case. It is your responsibility to pay me the full fee, and I will take care of paying my back up.
- After the Birth
I will remain with you for up to four hours after the birth to make sure you and your new baby are settled and comfortable. I can also help you initiate breastfeeding. I will be available to you by phone for up to two weeks after your birth. During these two weeks, we can schedule a postpartum visit to review your birth, answer any questions you may have, and most importantly, admire your new baby! After this appointment, I will still be available to you via email to help with any questions.
- Limitations of Doula Practice
- Even though I am a certified through the state of Alaska, when I am serving in the role as a doula, I do not perform clinical tasks such blood pressure, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, and other such duties. My role as a doula is non-medical.
- As a doula, I do not make decisions for you. I will help you get the information you need to make your own informed decisions. I will also remind you if a decision involves a departure from your original desires and plan for birth, but will not force you to stick with your original plan.
- As a doula, I will not speak to the staff instead of you or your partner regarding matters where decisions are being made. I will discuss your concerns with you and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to the clinical staff. I am more than happy to bring up questions you had, or remind you about important things you wanted the medical staff to know.
- As a doula, my capacity will be to offer suggestions and present options, not to make clinical assessments or decisions concerning your labor and birth. Therefore, I assume no responsibility, personally or professionally, for the outcome of your birth.
- Client Responsibilities
- Honest communication of medical conditions or emotional situations that may affect your birth experience.
- Contact by phone or e-mail following each visit
to your prenatal health care provider.
- Contact by phone regarding any hospital admittance or non-routine medical testing.
- Upon admission to the hospital, you must inform the staff that I will be attending your birth as your Doula.
- At least one week’s notice in scheduling antepartum and postpartum visits and any additional services.
- Fees for Doula Services
My fee for service is $950. This fee includes the following services:
- A minimum of four prenatal visits.
- Assistance in writing your birth plan
- unlimited telephone, text and e-mail support as needed during pregnancy and for two weeks following your birth.
- Continuous labor support at home, a hospital, or birth center as described above.
- 10 hours of postpartum support.
- 24 hour on call assistance 3 weeks prior to your due date and continuing until your birth.
- Providing resources and/or referrals. $475.00 is to be paid when you select me as your doula and sign this contract. This fee is a nonrefundable deposit.
- The remainder is to be paid by the 37th week of
In the event that I miss your birth due to my own error (ie: You call and it takes me longer than 90 minutes to arrive, You have called me more than 4 times within 5 minutes and I didn’t answer and therefore missed your birth, or I am out of town and unable to provide a back up doula to take my place), I will issue you a full refundAll other refund requests will be considered at my own discretion.
- We recognize that Kathryn McMahon is a doula trained to assist with the physical and emotional demands of labor and childbirth. She is not a medical professional and therefore will neither advise us on medical decisions nor perform medical assessments or procedures. We also recognize that childbirth is a natural and unpredictable process and may not go as we hope or plan; in this arena we understand that a doula will act with reasonable care for the mother and baby’s well being, but will not be able to alter the course of labor or its outcomes. I/We have read this form describing Kathryn McMahon’s doula services and agree that it reflects the discussion we have had with her. In signing this contract, we agree to retain her as our doula for our birth with a due date of ____________________.